[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon May 8 19:53:20 UTC 2006

As some of you may know, I've been talking with Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
about bringing Planet CCRMA officially under the Fedora banner.

Fernando has taken up the challenge, and is taking a lot of the initial
steps.  He's moving to use yum instead of apt-get.  He's giving the spec
files for his packages to Extras folks for review.  Things are moving.

The sticking point, though, will be the kernel.  High-end audio
applications absolutely require the lowest latency possible, so Fernando
is rolling his own kernels with Ingo Molnar's real time patches.  These
aren't mainline yet, and they aren't likely to be in the foreseeable
future.  They also can't be abstracted out into separate kernel modules,
from what I've been able to divine.

Therefore: we have no mechanism currently to deliver Fernando's kernel.

At least, that's what I thought -- until I learned that Fedora Core is
actually shipping a non-standard kernel for Xen.  If you want to run a
dom0 box, you boot into the Xen kernel.

Which brings up a few questions for me:

1. If it's okay for RH to put nonstandard kernels into Fedora, then
shouldn't it be okay for the community to put nonstandard kernels into
Fedora?  If not, why not?

2. Do we keep the Xen kernel close to the standard Fedora kernel?  If so,
how do we do that?

I'd really like to be able to make Planet CCRMA a standard Fedora install
by FC7.  Is it possible?

--g