[fab] Project Hosting

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon May 8 20:41:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:37:26AM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> On Sun, 7 May 2006, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > The current options are:
> >
> > 1) Savannah
> > 2) Sourceforge
> > 3) GForge
> > 4) Roll-your-own
> >
> > 1, 2, and 3 all offer pretty much the same things in various flavors.
> > CVS/SVN, mailing lists, "trackers", etc.  I happen to have used them all
> > too.  The largest issue here is whether to just use the existing sf.net/
> > savannah.{non-}gnu.org/gforge.org sites, or to do installations of them
> > ourselves.
> >
> > I know a coupl people that have done administration for large
> > Sourceforge and GForge installations.  I'll ask around and get their
> > opinions on some of the issues in dealing with them.
> >
> > Roll-your-own has obvious startup/development overhead in addition to
> > some of the admin issues that the others bring.
> >
> > Is that a sufficient summary, or have I missed something?
>
> It's probably worth mentioning the general bias against PHP, which
> would seem to take GForge right out of the running.

I've been told that savannah and sf are also PHP based.  So now we're down
to roll-your-own if PHP is out.  My sysadmin guy also said that savannah is
a "crusty-ass" version of SF, which doesn't give me warm fuzzies anyway.

He did mention Trac.  It's a free software SCM and Project Management tool
that seems to be based on python.  http://www.edgewall.com/trac

Maybe that is worth looking into.

josh