[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Mon May 8 22:57:51 UTC 2006

We're going to need to do something similar for One Laptop at some
point, but I'm hoping that will just be a kernel variant, not an
entirely separate package.  But we'll need some weird stuff in any case.
  Compressing memory on the fly, odd memory management and VM stuff, etc.

This is going to be more and more of a problem, not less.  How do we get
bleeding edge features into the kernel without causing pain to our
kernel guys?  Can we get the kernel guys to just start using an external
git repo for everything to start?  (Are they already doing that now?)
Is there a way we can re-think our processes so that we can actually
make this easier for our kernel folks instead of making it harder?

Does the kernel still use pristine source + patches, or are we just
using a random git tree?

--Chris