[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 10 00:11:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 11:23 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:58 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> >> I have a dream of a desktop bugzilla client in Fedora.  When you find a
> >> bug, you fire up the prominently-placed client.  The client presents you
> >> with package names, and you select which package the bug was in.  The
> >> client will be smart enough to reconcile any questions about "which repo
> >> this package came from".
>

> > Yes! I have this same dream! I really REALLY want to see tighter
> > integration between Fedora and our bug reporting/tracking stuff. I want:
> >
> > 1) A nice client (maybe built from bug-buddy) for people to quickly and
> > easily report bugs *without a bugzilla account*.
>
> I personally have a problem with that (maybe it's just the cranky
> sysadmin in me):
> * If a bug isn't worth a few minutes of your time to create a bugzilla
> account, the bug must not be that important.  This (IMO, small) barrier
> weeds out frivolous reports.  Easier bug reporting is nice, but not at
> the expense of receiving *good* bug reports.
> * Without a bugzilla account, there is no mechanism for further
> correspondence/feedback between reporter and developers.  I think this
> is important too.

I'd like to respond with a message that I received just recently:
= = = = =

I noticed that the downloadable compressed archive of the
Fedora Core 5 Installation Guide, as accessed through
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/
is the DRAFT version. Please forward this info to the
responsible person.

There should be an easier way to report this type of
web content error. The bugzilla system may be convenient for
you, but it's way to much bother for a customer.

= = = = =

I would say this bug report is better than many of the bugs I've
received from people who went to the trouble of getting accounts.  I
think shutting out potential contributors is not the way to advance the
project.  I agree that we will continue to get bugs that are not useful
-- from anonymous *and* non-anonymous users.  I would bet most people
who take the time to file a bug *at all* would typically follow up on it
at some point, especially if it's vexing to them.  When I asked for more
details on his BZ problems, for example, this user wrote me back a very
nice email with plenty of additional detail.  If people believe they are
getting attention, they typically respond well.  Attention is quite a
primal need.