[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed May 10 15:04:52 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Or do we fire up thoughts on Alternatives again?  Somewhere that we can
> host replacement packages that folks can use to assemble 'Fedora'
> variants but not be tied to the kernel or whatever.  If we use the same
> rules, or come up with a good rule set for Alternatives, same package
> quality, same build systems, etc... we should be able to call it Fedora.

I'm not a huge fan of alternatives to solve problems like this because I
think it solves the problem at the wrong level.  Things like music
servers or OLPC really have to happen at the final integration point.
At that point you pull in:

1. the packages you want
2. the install process you want
3. the kernel you want

and then you provide an image/repo for people to use with the
customizations that are required.  This sounds like the right place to
make these changes, not down at an alternative/package level.

Another way to put it is that alternatives sounds like a way to make a
choice _inside_ of Fedora and as near as I can tell we're talking about
variants of Fedora as a whole.

--Chris