[fab] Non-standard kernels in the Fedora Multiverse

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed May 10 15:08:35 UTC 2006

Yeah, here's another example of the dichotomy:

seth vidal wrote:
> Some complexity in enabling Alternatives:
>  1. we can't enable alternatives by default - the obsoletes it could
> allow would eat packages for people who really just want to use core.
>  2. create a sensible way of dealing with conflicts - something we don't
> really need to deal with right now.

Inside of Fedora

>  3. dealing with alternative tree creation and QA. What if a user
> creates a fedora 'distro' using an alternatives kernel? How does that
> impact testing? How do we cope with the near endless number of
> combination or configurations we might get?

and creating full Fedora variants.

What we really need to be focused on is a better comps system.
Something that doesn't just know about packages but also knows about
repos and replacing some packages with packages from other repositories.
  Our current systems are built around "one Fedora to rule them all" and
that's just not going to work anymore.

--Chris