[fab] discussion topics for red hat ceo

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon May 15 16:54:27 UTC 2006

Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote:
> mspevack at redhat.com said:
>> Nothing?  Someone's gotta have some Fedora-related topics that you'd like
>> the guy who runs Red Hat to comment on.

Some of these questions need not go to Matthew because they are too fine
grained in nature.  I give some answers below based upon my
understanding of past public discussions.

> What percentage of R&D spending and maintenance spending goes into FC ?
> What's the outlook for the next couple years ?

This might be a good Matthew question.

> What kind of commitment to FE infrastructure can we get, in terms of
>  - bandwidth
>  - Fedora project hosting
>  - build systems
>  - mailing lists archiving and searching

These are all of course necessary for the growth of any community
project.  We are always expanding and improving the infrastructure.  I
am not sure any "commitment" is necessary here.  It is as simple as, "If
we don't do this, we die."

>  - whole repo archiving and distribution ?

What do you mean by this?

> Any inclination on the split Core / Extras ?

We want to blend the differences between Core, Extras, and Legacy and
make a single Fedora distribution.  We've been talking about this for
the past few months both in the public and privately.  We will work
toward achieving this goal in a series of small incremental steps.
You've already begun to see some small aspects of this, like Core &
Extras package reviews going on the same list.

No timetable is available yet because many aspects of this are still
theoretical and we are pretty busy on other priorities.  In the coming
months the community will see more news and discussions about this topic.

> Any inclination on RHAS Extras ?

While I personally would want this, this is outside the scope of Fedora.

> Any new architectures planed (Itanium, SPARC, ...) for FC ?

This depends entirely on if a sizable and self-sufficient community
forms around that architecture.  Both x86_64 and ppc FC happened only
because community volunteers made it happen.  Right now some people are
trying to make FC Itanium happen.  They would need to prove that they
can build a community around it, and any other arch would need to do so too.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com