[fab] Governing body to handle package guideline issues

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed May 17 15:10:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Now that package guidelines are more than just an Extras thing, and
> changes to said guidelines could effect Core package quality, it had
> been proposed that a new 'governing' body be generated to oversee /
> approve / generate changes to the guidelines and such, that consists of
> more than just Extras folks.  I thought I saw some discussion about it
> in one of the meeting minutes from the Fedora Board, but I haven't seen
> anything since.  Where are we with this, as there are changes that need
> to be discussed.

One of the requirements that I heard along the way for the "technical
steering comm" was that it be completely balanced between Red Hat
representation and community representation.

Furthermore, given the current membership of FESCO, it seems like this
group could simply be a composed of people already on FESCO, with a clear
set of responsibilities given to them.

Personally, I don't think this group needs to be some sort of elected
body.  I think we should be able to pretty easily determine who the right
people are, and from that group elect/appoint a leader.  Then we just need
to make it very clear what the mandate of this group is, give it a wiki
page and an email list, and let it go.

something like:

- make decisions about packaging guidelines for Extras and Core
- what else?

What do you all think?

As this thread moves along and until we make something final, I personally
don't have any problem with FESCO handling the things that need to be
decided, since the community and Red Hat are both well represented there,
and we're likely to cover all of the different viewpoints and needs.

Finally, is there a Board member, or someone on this list with the cycles
to actually drive the formalization of this group, and get it off the
ground?  Rex, you own the action item in which we talked about this during
a Board meeting.  Can you take the lead on moving it along?  I'm happy to
help, I'm sure others are too.

--Max

--
Max Spevack