NTFS (was Re: [fab] discussion topics for red hat ceo)

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon May 22 17:43:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > If NTFS is already in the upstream kernel...
> >
> > ...and if the kernel is specifically covered by OIN...
> >
> > ...and if we're comfortable shipping other risky M$ technologies that are
> > specifically covered by OIN...
> >
> > ...then why are we not shipping NTFS in the Fedora kernel?
> >
> > The more I think about it, the more I think it's a *very* simple question.
>
> Point C is not an obvious conclusion from points A and B.

No?  Tell me why not.

If the answer is "political reasons that have nothing to do with legal
reasons," I can accept that answer.

However, if the answer is "because we're afraid of getting sued," well
then, I think we need to know *exactly* how this situation differs from
the Mono situation.

--g

Greg DeKoenigsberg || Fedora Foundation || fedoraproject.org