[fab] Fedora Logo versus OPL License

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 23 00:03:03 UTC 2006

Hello,

First I could be WRONG and I'm not a lawyer.

I think the Fedora Logo can be modified and redistributed by anyone
without being prosecuted., let me explain.

Anyone needs an approval of usage for the Fedora Logo. Hence he/she
sends a request.

When the request is approved, we receive an email:
Here's your logo.  By using it, you're agreeing to the following simple
rules:

1. You won't alter the logo.
2. You'll only use the logo to describe Fedora stuff.
3. You won't use the logo for anything hateful or stupid.
4. We reserve the right to disallow your use of the logo.

Thanks for all your help supporting Fedora.

from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Licensing/FAQ (though
its still a draft) :

Fedora documentation consists of three types of content:
   *   The contents of the Fedora Wiki, contributed by members of the
Fedora community

All Fedora documentation is provided under the terms of the [WWW] Open
Publication License (OPL).

This means that:
   *     You may freely copy and distribute all Fedora documentation
   *      You may modify copies of any Fedora documentation, and
redistribute your modified versions
   *     You may reuse parts of Fedora documentation in your own work

Since the _official_ Fedora Logo is on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo, this gives anyone the right to
copy, modify and redistribute it..

If Im right here, we have to remove the _OFFICIAL_ Fedora Logo as
quick as possible from the fedoraproject.org wiki.

Maybe It does affect the Fedora Artwork too.

Regards,
Chitlesh GOORAH

--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com