[fab] State of Fedora (a long email)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Nov 6 21:32:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 16:24, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> The problem is not that there are "still only contributors signed up
> there", the problem is that contributors did not get signed up there or
> left again after some time/send the traffic to /dev/null now because
> there were flamewars or unimportant stuff was discussed.
>
> Site note: To solve this problem Extras requested a moderated,
> low-traffic "fedora-maintainers-annouce" list to make it possible to
> announce stuff to a all maintainers easily. Core blocked it, warren (in
> his function as FESCo member) is discussing this with Jesse currently
> (maybe there are some results in between, but nobody told me about).

This was discussed between Warren, Jeremy Katz, and myself.  The solution to
the problem is to not create yet another mailing list, its to enforce the
list for the purpose it was meant for.  Announcements most often spawn
discussions (see my announcement re dist-hg), having it span two lists or
dealing with a readonly -> read/write list is bothersome and confusing.
(yes, I know we have fedora-package-announce and fedora-announce set up that
way, but those usually have less conversations attached to them).  All
maintainers should be on fedora-maintainers, so one should be able to
announce stuff AND discuss it there.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora