[fab] Architecture Policy.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:50:38 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 11:35 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I have a suggestion, David. Stop referring to our active and appreciated
> > volunteers as package monkeys. If you cannot refer to them respectfully
> > in public then do not do it at all.
>
> It's not a term of disrespect. It's a term which I use to refer to
> myself as well in certain circumstances.

Your definition of dis-respect is not the same as the rest of the
people in this conversation.

A general rule of politeness seems to be that one can call oneself a
disparaging name, but it is extremely im-polite to call someone else
that name. EG if one sells fish, one can call oneself a fish-monger
(or various other street terms on the East Side), calling someone else
that is a sign of dis-respect (except in certain areas where it was
all looked upon by all members of the conversation as being a sign of
secret pride of 'membership').

In the context of this conversation, the term package-monkey is not
seen as a source of pride by most people reading, and thus is parsed
as an error by the other readers.