[fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Nov 3 17:24:48 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating schrieb:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 11:11, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I think we should plan a bit more into the future here (e.g. have some
>> rough goals for FC7 when FC6T3 [feature freeze] or FC6 get shipped or
>> shortly afterwards).
> Honestly (IMHO) that's a horrible time to start planning.

For Ubuntu it seems fine: They started gathering ideas right away when
they released 6.10

> A) it takes focus off the release we're trying to get out the door,

Well, I assume at lest some packagers will have their packages in a good
shape already by FCxT3. Those could work on FC(x+1) internally already.

> and drowns
> out already noisy mailing lists that we're trying to gather test feedback
> with threads-o-doom about what joe user wants to see in the next release, and
> why bob user thinks the bike shed should be brown.

Well, we have different lists for it, but don't enforce that. We should
IMHO.

> B) nothing can be shown for the plan for a good long while as rawhide can't
> start taking these new plans

We could start opening up rawhide a bit earlier (e.g. when the final FCx
was build). But yes, I agree here round about.

> C) folks doing the planning are usually pretty frazzled trying to get Test3
> out and then cleaning up for the final

Agreed. That's btw one of the reasons why I started this thread: We IMHO
need more of those folks "doing the planning and finishing the release".

Cu
thl