[fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 23:48:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 15:11 -0500, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> I know it's hard to hear "we're working on it," and you can only hear that
> so many times.  But Max, Bill and I will be flying up to Boston and
> spending several days talking through internal issues around Fedora with
> the other engineers.  The goal: a proposal for a community roadmap for
> FC7, which we will then present to community folks for additional
> guidance.  I'd like to see something presented on this list by November
> 15th.

Is this what Jesse was calling a "summit"?  If so, then I'd remove the
"quotes" and call a shovel a shovel. :)

Is there any chance of you providing some real time access to these
proceedings?  Such as:

* For every meeting/proceeding, take notes and post them at regular
intervals to the Wiki; one person is note taker and makes sure to keep
the flow going.  You can do all this on a whiteboard, then write out and
put them on the Wiki.

* Have all summit participants on IRC on an open channel, interacting
about the meetings as they are happening.  Aside from coordination
benefits ("Hey, gregdek, get out of the bathroom and get back here,
we're starting!"), it gives you a place to have all of us who aren't
going to be in Westford to interact with you.  Sure, you can track
people down in other channels, etc.  But having an event-only unique
channel adds to the feel of openness, keeps chatter on topic, and
provides a simple logging mechanism that is event-specific.

* Email out highlights at the end of the day to a designated list, such
as this one.  Include some links back to important stuff on the Wiki.
Getting everyone involved in this task makes it easy to do, accurate,
useful, and fun!

Just those three things are enough to give you a global interaction and
help everyone not present able to be involved.

FWIW, we did just those exact things at the Google Summer of Code
mentors summit[1], and it worked very well.  At that, with so many
participants and scheduled thingies, it was nice to have a growing mind
map and instant logging of the proceedings.

- Karsten
[1] http://www.red-bean.com/ospowiki/MentorSummit-2006
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project