[fab] Fwd: Mono and FC

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Nov 5 17:00:41 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 November 2006 11:35, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Unfortunately, the potential issues with exclusionary patent agreements
> and any possible solutions probably cannot be limited to Mono though it
> is probably the most significant project since the current move sets
> political if not legal precedent for patent claims in the future against
> other distributions except Novell and even Novell if the agreement isnt
> renewed after 5 years.
>
> Novell is working with Microsoft on virtualisation and openxml format
> support which probably results in code to xen and openoffice.org both of
> which has significant Novell developers working on them. If these
> contributions are under GPL and LGPL respectively then the patent clause
> in GPL automatically grants everyone else the necessary rights or would
> prevent Novell from distributing the code to anyone. So we are probably
> safe with that. Things for Legal to carefully look at.

Right, things like OO.org and Xen are less issues due to licensing.  However
since Novell has the right to re-license Mono at any time, and its already
mostly in a license that allows for their contributions, I feel it should be
avoided.  That's just my opinion.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora