[fab] Secondary Arches

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 19:54:14 UTC 2006

Dennis Gilmore (dennis at ausil.us) said:
> I never said that sparc should be primary arch  just that if it is needed
> hardware can be made available where ever it is needed and PPC can still be
> built when core is migrated to the new buildsys.  so it need not become a
> secondary arch until we have everything in place for it to be 100% success.
> Unless niagara based systems start flooding the market place  i don't see
> sparc as having a large user base.  but i enjoy working on it.

What I'm trying to say is that one of the things we're trying to solve with
the new arch policy is the hardware issue - we want people to be able to
interface with the Fedora build system with hardware that isn't in our server
locations. Even if there is a groundswell for Fedora/390, no one's going to
send us a mainframe (and, honestly, even if they were, I'm pretty sure we
wouldn't want to deal with it ;) ) - therefore, it's best to design the policy
so that it can work for community-supported arches who house the hardware
themselves.

Bill