[fab] db4o and Fedora Core

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Sep 1 04:19:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 09:52, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 12:29 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Max Spevack (mspevack at redhat.com) said:
> > > Fedora Advisory Folks,
> > >
> > > This has been on my plate for a while, and it just slipped through the
> > > cracks a bit.  Dragging it back up.  Please comment as needed.
> >
> > If it's in an official Fedora repository (Core, Extras), I don't see why
> > it couldn't be announced, although I don't think we want to make a habit
> > of expecting the board/project leads to do the announcing - it's up to
> > the maintainer.
>
> In general, sure.  But I think there is room for project leaders to do
> such announcements.  For the Board, it should be something very
> noteworthy or extraordinary.

I agree.  We don't need to make a habit out of announcements as large as when
Mono was added.  That was a special circumstance due to the long background.
Individual common packages do not need such fanfare, and trying to give it to
them would wear out the value of special announcements.  I generally think
the best kind of announcement is one made by the maintainer on fedora-list or
similar public forums.  If the package is of special interest to a Fedora
project or SIG, then the appropriate lead or committee could see to a larger
announcement.  I don't think we need to add a regular burden of the sort to
the Board, though, as it isn't necessary and could detract from other
important duties.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com