[fab] kernel modules

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 19 20:54:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 02:14 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> > R> The problem is that if bugs are filed against the kernel with third
> > R> party kernel modules loaded, it might be caused by the additional
> > R> modules.
> >
> > Which is a problem regardless of whether the modules are in Extras or
> > are in another repository.
>
> If anything is included in Fedora, I would as a user expect the project
> to support them and not be asked to remove them before I file any bug
> reports. I think thats a very reasonable expectation.

Fine.  There is nothing that says one cannot open a bug report against
Extras instead.

> Lets assume for a moment that users will read the documentation,
> how are we going to deal with kernel modules in extras frequently being
> out of sync with the high pace of kernel updates in core?

That requires diligence on the part of the packager.  It would be the
same as if the modules were carried as part of the kernel package
itself.  The difference being a period of time required for the packager
to update the kmod against a newer released kernel.

> If third party kernel modules included in Fedora Extras are unsupported
> by the core kernel team and can frequently break it would reflect poorly
> on the quality of the formal Fedora repositories.
>
> If we are going to include them anyway, I would prefer we include them
> in a separate repository. The repository file description and name
> should denote its relatively unsupported and potentially frequently
> breaking status.

I'm undecided on this, but it seems sane.

josh