[fab] Alternative kernels?

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 18:48:02 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 23:28 +0530, Rahul wrote:
>> So since we decided to allow kernel modules in Fedora Extras now, what
>> about alternative kernels?
>>
>> The immediate need for this is a kernel with Ingo's RT patch set
>> (http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/) that is used by
>> Planet CCRMA that we are trying to integrate into Fedora.
>>
>> We already discussed this before at
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-May/msg00055.html.
>> A quick decision now. Yes/no?
>
> I'd say no

This is that classic problem that it's hard for us to manage > 1 of
anything in our trees.  I suspect (but correct me if I'm wrong) that
Jeremy is actually concerned about the lack of focus on the mainline
kernel, or wanting to get the RT patches upstream.

I'm happy to enable there to be > 1 kernel, but it's hard because of the
way that our packaging systems work.  We're doing this right now for
OLPC, based on David and Marcelo's work, but I'm not sure what the
mechanism is to make sure that the OLPC kernel always wins.

--Chris