Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 17 16:12:45 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 11:48:27 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Are we not rebuilding the packages with "fc6" names in Fedora 7? I did
>> ask FESCo but afaik no final decision was made. What about packages that
>> dist tags in the future releases?
>
> No.  Rebuilding just to change dist tags is a completely silly operation.

I think we just disagree on that. The value of rebuilding is more than
just changing the dist tag. The fear against is exactly the reason why
we should be doing it in the first place. Ensuring that they don't
"accidentally" get new features during a security update after the
release is a measure of quality.

  Our
> distribution releases do inherit from previous releases, the dist tag just
> makes that point visually.

So one might have "fc6" packages in Fedora 8 and "fc7" packages on
Fedora 10 too? You don't think that's "silly"?  Btw did FESCo even
discuss this at all?

Rahul