Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-31

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Fri Aug 3 01:10:18 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>   * For Fedora 7 we built tools for people to spin their own distro--why
> hasn't this caught on more?
>     * It isn't '''fun'''
>     * It is difficult because of artwork and logo trademark issues
>     * Maybe the tools are not as easy to use as we thought

(d) It is a niche activity.

A very important niche activity, and one that Fedora is doing the
right thing by pursuing. But still a niche activity. Ubuntu has
pursued this incredibly actively for a couple years now, and still has
basically no more than a handful of active projects doing it.
Definitely keep working on it, and keep improving the tools where you
get good feedback, but don't sweat the uptake quite yet.

Luis (who used a f7-based Creative Commons liveCD last week and was
very impressed)