[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 16:10:35 UTC 2007

Luis Villa wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The build service isn't particularly interesting, mostly because the
>> model we're moving towards is to move as much outside of the firewall as
>> much as possible.  It's kind of odd, actually, any time I run into any
>> of the suse folks, all they want to talk about is the build service.
>> Not a lot of value there, imho?
>
> It behooves all of us to make linux software easier to install- as
> easy as xpis in mozilla, or app bundles in osx. Once you do that,
> developers can focus more on development and less on packaging, users
> can more reliably get newer/better versions with less pain, etc.
>
> The build service is a very kludgy solution to this, but for users and
> non-distro developers it is a step in the right direction if it gets
> used. It gives them value, even if there is very little value in it
> for the distros.
>
> (I can rant on about this at great length; probably best not to get me
> started ;)

I see them as somewhat separate things.  To your first point - making
things easier to install, I happen to completely agree, and it's one of
the reasons why I'm driving down the path of using bundles instead of
rpm or deb packages in olpc.  This much to the chagrin of people who are
heavily invested in rpm and similar technologies.

I'm approaching this from the standpoint of "make it easier to find
software that's interesting and be able to give it to others" as opposed
to "making it easier and more convenient to make an rpm."

--Chris