[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Feb 6 19:59:43 UTC 2007

Christopher Blizzard schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> - RHEL/CentOS -> seven years of support, only important updates, new
>> stuff if you want round about all 18 months
>> - Fedora, stable updates channel -> only important updates, get new
>> stuff once a year (if you skip a release) or all six months (if you want)
>> - Fedora, bold updates channel -> get most new stuff all the time, test
>> stuff out before it hits the stable updates channel while getting the
>> really new stuff all six months
>> - Fedora, development -> get new stuff constantly
> I want to be pretty careful here to say that I think that's a good idea,
> but I'm not sure if it's going to work well.  Legacy was trying to do
> parts of this, right? [...]

Not really. We support Fedora thirteen months currently (at least afaik,
as that decision from the Fedora Summit was never announced officially
iirc). Above example does not go beyond those 13 months, so this has
nothing to do with Legacy -- its more about maintaining two sorts of
update channels for the latest released distro (e.g. 6 and a half
month). Two channels is what we are doing in parts already with
"updates" and "updates-testing", but there packages get moved from the
later to the former sooner or later.

Anyway, yes, sure, maintaining two set of update channels makes of
course more work. But I'd say as long as the current maintainers
*continue* (they have to do that currently) to do the security fixes and
important bugfixes for the stable channel then I'm optimistic that we
get some of the Extras contributors and even some of the Core
maintainers to maintain their packages in a updates-bold channel; that
often should be nothing more then rebuilding packages from devel. That
could lead to a better tested packages in the distro that gets released
from said devel tree later, and gives people a chance to get involved in
interesting areas (like a firefox2 in the updates bold channel for FC6,
which is for good reasons not shipped a updates-proper for FC6).

CU
thl