kqemu is now GPLv2

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 14:28:14 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 03:15, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> Maybe we should just follow a different approach for kmods then? Why not do
> something like a module manager (I heard some other distros have that ;) )?
> With it people could easily build their modules themselves but have them
> integrated via rpm so their filesystems don't go into nirvana after a
> couple of system upgrades. If you make it easy (and graphical) enough I
> suspect that people would be ok with it for external module stuff. That
> would solve the problems of repo inconsistency but still give users what
> they want...

And when they don't rebuild cleanly?  Then what?  The user is left holding the
bag of a broken system should they ever reboot to that new kernel.

I am entirely unconvinced that out of tree kernel modules adds any value over
the long run.  It may work for a kernel or two, but it will lag, it will
break, and somebody will get blamed for it, more often than not, it will be
us for moving the kernel too fast, or not caring enough about external
modules to hold back updates, or, or, or...  Out of tree modules _will_ lead
to poor user experiences and I do _not_ want the Fedora name attached to
_any_ of them.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora