kqemu is now GPLv2

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 19:15:43 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:05:16PM +0100, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
>
>  > To me the most important thing in fedora is user
>  > experience and having modules for e.g. hardware available clearly is one of the
>  > most basic and important things.
>
> I'm tired of hearing this 'user experience' as an excuse for this.
> What about the user experience when they hit a bug in the kernel, and can't
> upgrade to a fixed version because their module doesn't work on the new one?
> What about the user experience when they file bugs and the Fedora kernel
> team refuses to look at them unless the module is removed (which they don't want to do?)
> What about the user experience when equivalent functionality (but different/incompatible)
> is merged upstream ?
> What about the user experience when someone hoses their initrd, and their
> system doesn't boot any more? This part of the boot process is _really_ fragile,
> so some bogus module can break this unintentionally very easily.
> See the disaster from FC3 era when livna shipped a horked nvidia module.
> (That particular event cost me a lot of hours over ~2-3 months, chasing a bug
>  that a) I couldn't fix and b) wasn't even caused by anything I did, so yes,
>  I'm somewhat jaded by external modules)

Ok users are going to complain, not use, and rant about how bad Fedora
is because:

A) the kernel doesn't have the modules for their hardware and tells
users to use get their favorite module pushed upstream.

B) the kernel keeps breaking out-of-stream modules from other repos
[since the only way to enforce a pure upstream kernel will be to drop
all dkms/kmod/etc from the new combined core+extras repository]

FAB gets to choose which one and let people know thats how its going
to be from then on. People who do not like choice A or choice B can

1) Suck-it-up and fix the problems on non-fedora lists/groups that arise.
2) Find a distro that is better for their needs.
3) Continue to complain, but know that they are silently put into spam
filters of core Fedora people.

> improving "user experience" is not an excuse for doing this whilst people
> conveniently ignore the parts that *ruin* user experience for others.
>
>  > If the modules are free in the fedora sense
>  > why should we keep our users away from them?
>
> How about increased workload for the kernel team for one?
> I don't see anyone doing much to improve *my* user experience.

Welcome to customer support and working in a service industry :).