[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 9 03:44:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:54:59PM -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:49 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Probably not true but the message is valid.  They're doing very
> > similar things that we are and we both could have lots to learn from
> > eachother if communications are there.  Pride seems to be the biggest
> > wall between us.

There's another potential wall.

> I'm willing to sit down and listen to what they have to say, but I
> wonder if the ideological differences between our parents (Red Hat,
> Novell) will keep us from breaking real ground together.
>
> Or, let me put it this way:
>
> If they have tangible ideas on how we could work together, I'd be
> interested in hearing them.
>
> If anyone in Fedora has tangible ideas on how we could benefit from
> working with OpenSuSE, I'd be interested in hearing them (and willing to
> present them in person).

Talking is fine.  I have a question for them.  It's very pointed, but also
pretty important if we're going head down the path of working with them.

How is OpenSuSE ensuring that the changes they integrate into their projects
are not encumbered by patents given their parent's deal with Microsoft?

I realize this is larger than just OpenSuSE.  However, given the proximity they
have to that issue, it would be good to hear if/what they're doing about it.

josh