Changes to fedora-advisory-board list

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 12:45:14 UTC 2007

When the Fedora Advisory Board mailing list was first set up, it was put
together in this way:

1) Archives 100% open to all
2) Non member posting is moderated
3) Member posting is non-moderated
4) Membership is by "approval".
5) People who want to lurk by not post could subscribe to
fedora-advisory-board-readonly

I've heard from a few people that this has been a source of confusion, and
that people who otherwise want to participate on fedora-advisory-board
aren't doing so, because they don't realize that we *want* them to
participate.

So, I've made some changes to the fedora-advisory-board list, effective
this morning.

Membership is now "confirm via email" rather than "moderater approved" so
basically list subscription is now the same as all other Fedora lists.

Still, fedora-advisory-board is the place where we like to have some of
the higher-level decision making begin, but with the assumption that it
will be pushed off to other lists as appropriate.

This decision also has the potential to lead to increased traffic on the
list.  Let's keep the traffic on-topic and high in signal, versus noise.
The list's job will be to police its own.

*** NOTE ***

I will kill off the fedora-advisory-board-readonly list on March 1.  Folks
who are on that list (and therefore reading this message) are encouraged
to subscribe directly to fedora-advisory-board.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

--