Extending FC5 lifecycle?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 19 14:20:18 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 06:49:47PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Can we decide if we wanted to extend the lifecycle of FC5 till F7 is
>> released or not? I know there was some discussions before on that but
>> since F7 is going to have 4 test releases and second test release is
>> expected shortly, we need to determine this now.
>
> the suggested timelife was 13 months, e.g. the intention was to allow
> for two releases and 1 extra month, so that people can upgrade from
> version N to N+1 with a transition time for this skip-an-intermediate-
> release-jump of one month.
>
> Given that schedules can go back and forth like currently for F7,
> could the policy be reworded to "ETA is one month after the release of
> the next-to-next subsequent release which usually sums up to 13
> months". That way we wouldn't have to adjust the absolute ETA if a
> release slips.

Right. I was just unsure whether it applied retroactively from FC5 or
just for FC6 and future releases. I have updated
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ.  I intend to send out this
announcement to fedora-announce list. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

Extending the life cycle of Fedora releases

As proposed earlier in the Fedora Summit [1], Fedora Project has decided
to extend the life cycle of Fedora releases. Previously every release of
Fedora reaches end of life after FCn+2 test 2 is released which is
approximately 9 months. We have now extended this such that every
release of Fedora is maintained for a month after FCn+2 is released.

This means end users of Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6 will now get
updates till after a month after the release of Fedora 7 and 8
respectively. This was planned to allow end users the ability to
optionally skip every other release and directly upgrade from N to N+1
release of Fedora.

More details available at in our FAQ [2]

[1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess
[2]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ

Rahul