Dell + Linux

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Feb 21 23:26:31 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 10:09, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > What if we helpped Dell create an OSS gnome and KDE theme and got it
> > into Extras?
>
> Is Dell willing to let their graphics be released under an OSS license, for
> anybody to apply them to any non-dell machine?  I'm thinking... no.
>
> Seriously, we really really really need a second set of trademarks/logos that
> would be usable by folks like Dell to be able to do 'Fedora' preinstalls with
> some of their customization.  They could call it Dell Linux Based on Fedora
> or whatever.  Just some way for them to legally use the term Fedora and still
> accomplish the minimal customization that almost any vendor would want (and
> sometimes need).

First of all we need to make it a lot simpler to rebrand the distro AKA
rip out trademarked Fedora logos; see the thread "Why is redhat-artwork
multi-lib?" on fedora-devel-list about how many packages you have to
modify today.

Ideally people would only have to provide a single package (that would
provide system-logos) and our package collection would contain packages
with generic non-branded artwork for this in addition to the trademarked
fedora-logos.

Going forward, perhaps our tools (livecd-creator and pungi and pungi
comes to mind) could be chained with some star-trek tool from the future
that can create such an artwork packages given number of images (ideally
just a single SVG). Then part of the build process automatically
generates artwork appropriate artwork packages e.g. mydistro-logos so
people doing derived distros don't need to maintain art packages if they
don't want to. Or something. Just throwing out ideas.

Today rebranding Fedora is just damn hard and we want to change that.

     David