Dell + Linux

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Feb 22 05:42:37 UTC 2007

On 22.02.2007 00:26, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:17 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 10:09, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> What if we helpped Dell create an OSS gnome and KDE theme and got it
>>> into Extras?
>> Is Dell willing to let their graphics be released under an OSS license, for
>> anybody to apply them to any non-dell machine?  I'm thinking... no.
>> Seriously, we really really really need a second set of trademarks/logos that
>> would be usable by folks like Dell to be able to do 'Fedora' preinstalls with
>> some of their customization.  They could call it Dell Linux Based on Fedora
>> or whatever.  Just some way for them to legally use the term Fedora and still
>> accomplish the minimal customization that almost any vendor would want (and
>> sometimes need).
> First of all we need to make it a lot simpler to rebrand the distro AKA
> rip out trademarked Fedora logos; see the thread "Why is redhat-artwork
> multi-lib?" on fedora-devel-list about how many packages you have to
> modify today. [...]

Well, I agree with this goal in general, but not for this particular
goal. If Dell or some other Vendor really wants to ship Fedora with
Hardware then we should do our best to make it possible that they can do
it under the name "Fedora" -- that has benefits for both sides afaics.

So in other words: I'm fine if $VENDOR would ship Fedora under the
Fedora name with some Add-On-Packages with Closed-Source-Software that
are is only for branding and support of $VENDOR -- we of course should
ACK those package. Shipping stuff (say, packages from 3rd party repos)
that really enhance the functionality of Fedora on the other hand is of
course is not okay under the name Fedora.

CU
thl