the danger of becoming a cargo cult

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 17:09:19 UTC 2007

> > Ubuntu is much more active in that area and thus has some interesting
> > stuff that we are already still working on (codec buddy) or have on our
> > Roadmap (say: new initsystem).
>
> Ubuntu is pretty much in the same position regarding codec buddy since
> the library is getting merged with upstream Gstreamer. Fedora has
> SELinux, Xen, Compiz integration etc. Let's not undersell ourselves
> unnecessarily. Focusing on one distribution repeatedly is not a good
> idea either.

Yeah, we have some very strong areas that others don't compete with.
Xen is one of them, SELinux is another.  Overall security is another -
we've done a huge amount of work in that area (see Mark Cox's blog for
specific statistics.)

And we're starting to get ahead in other areas as well.  The core +
extras merge is really going to start to help us get ahead of the curve
again instead of always being on the defensive.  Things really _are_
looking up and I'm really excited about our future.

--Chris