why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 3 18:06:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 12:59 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > To be fair, Luis has a point.  OLPC semi-counts.  It's another Red Hat
> > driven (and funded) project, however with a much more philanthropic
> > goal.  If RHEL (and Red Hat) were to disappear today, I believe Fedora
> > would live on.  But I believe it would live on as a shadow of it's
> > current state today for quite some time.
>
> As Elliot Lee once said, "my goal at work is to make myself unnecessary".
>
> If Red Hat disappeared tomorrow, would Fedora be in better shape than if
> Red Hat had disappeared a year ago?  Yes.
>
> As long as that statement is still true a year from now, we're doing the
> right things.

Sure, and I'm not saying Fedora isn't heading in the right direction.  I
think it truly is.  All I was saying is that without dedicated, paid
people work on Fedora, it would move at a much slower pace for some
time.  But it would still evolve.  And that is most definitely because
of work that's been done over the life of the project.

> Part of my job (and you guys are the ones who tell me when I'm doing it
> well and when I'm dropping the ball) is to make sure that the resources
> Red Hat *does* give to Fedora are in the best interests of Fedora as a
> community project.  And all the credit in the world here to Jeremy Katz
> for his tireless work in selling the Fedora 7 vision (which is all about
> using Red Hat resources to make Fedora both better and more indepenent) to
> lots of folks within Red Hat.

Of course.  Fedora 7 is by far the largest step I've seen so far and I
can't wait for it to be realized.

josh