why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 3 20:12:20 UTC 2007

Will Woods wrote:

> We could have a compromise - we will at least *try* to help anyone using
> Test3 upgrade to Final when it finally comes. We can keep a wiki page
> with info/workarounds, but I don't think it's wise or desirable to force
> the devs to cram that stuff into anaconda and such.

The updates system can prevent problems by checking and refusing to
release a update with packaging issues that would be hindrance for updates.

We could have a separate upgrade module which does that release specific
massaging/hacks/workarounds/obsoleting dropped packages etc and that can
be called from a live upgrade tool as well as Anaconda.

Pup should notify users when the release they are using reaches end of
life as well as availability of new releases and the live upgrade tool
should be hooked into pup. For the next release, we might maintain it as
a experimental feature and stabilize this as we have move forward. There
are some cases where a live upgrade wont work efficiently but for
majority of use cases the only reason live upgrades dont work properly
are real packaging problems which we should be fixing anyway.

Rahul