why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 21:43:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 16:31 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 01:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Pup should notify users when the release they are using reaches end of
> > life as well as availability of new releases and the live upgrade tool
> > should be hooked into pup. For the next release, we might maintain it as
> > a experimental feature and stabilize this as we have move forward. There
> > are some cases where a live upgrade wont work efficiently but for
> > majority of use cases the only reason live upgrades dont work properly
> > are real packaging problems which we should be fixing anyway.
>
> Sadly, this isn't actually the case.  The number of "weird" cases that
> are just "remove this package" is far smaller than the other bizarre
> bits that have caused live upgrades to not work reliably.

I agree - there's just too many pitfalls for a live upgrade to be
viable.

However! I think  we can have a *mostly*-live update - package
selection, dep resolution, and package downloading can all happen
without rebooting, and those are the parts that take the longest.

Once all that's done, we can reboot into the installer kernel/initrd and
upgrade using the packages that are already sitting on the local disk.
We even know which device it's on. That part could be basically
automatic.

I think.

-w