why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 01:15:17 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Luis Villa schrieb:
>> On 1/3/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>>> Thx Luis, I liked you mail. Some comments from my side:
>>> Agreed. The biggest problem we have in this regard IMHO is that we
>>> always communicate "you can't get to stable release from rawhide or a
>>> test release". That scares people aways from the devel branch and the
>>> test releases. We should provide a clean solution so people at least can
>>> get from test3 to stable.
>> No, you should provide a clean path from every package ver X to every
>> package ver X+1. Period. [...]
>
> Actually I'd like to see this, too, but Fedora people seem to be so
> unwilling to support something like that so I tried the "better ask for
> something that's not that hard to realize and lies between the current
> solution and the best/ideal solution; maybe then the chances to get what
> we ask for are higher and it make one big part of the problem go away,
> even if parts of the problem remain"-approach ;-)

I've been annoyed with Red Hat's prior stance where mistakes (like "pre"
within version or bad epochs) that happened during rawhide are rolled
back silently.  This makes it impossible for folks using rawhide to
continue upgrading in a smooth and automated fashion.

In the past two years we've been doing a lot less of this, but it still
happens.  We really have to stop this entirely.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com