Fedora 7 will ship Nouveau?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 20:24:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> It's nowhere near ready to be the default driver for Nvidia chipsets, of
> course.  But ajax seems excited enough that he wants it to be in the
> distro.  I imagine that it would probably be a very quick moving
> non-default experimental bit.

This seems reasonable to me.  Everyone seems to agree that it's not ready
to be the default, but that doesn't preclude us from having in the Fedora
package set, and available for install.

To me the question is between:

1) putting it on the Fedora Desktop ISO in a non-default capacity

2) just having it in the Fedora repository (what used to be Extras, what
now is "all the packages that aren't included on the 'official' ISOs") and
let people install it via pup/yum

I don't necessarily have a strong opinion one way or the other.

But I can't really think of any reason why it shouldn't be a part of
Fedora -- it's Free in all the senses that Fedora cares about, and folks
like ajax and jrb in our own community are behind it.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack