Codec buddy and Free software

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 15:20:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:06 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 20:19 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> > I would like to get comments on whether folks here are favorable to
> > pointing to a third party repository from codec buddy (with appropriate
> > warnings and disclaimers). If this is considered something we wanted to
> > do we will consult with Red Hat legal to verify that is a legally safe
> > choice for us. Comments?

We have a chicken and egg situation.  Can we have a large enough
sampling to reach a consensus?  The larger the sampling, the less chance
of easy, quick, or reasonable consensus.  I actually thought deciding
these kinds of things for Fedora as representatives of everyone is why
we have elections and Boards and stuff.

So, just a realization that having this discussion is most likely verbal
masturbation.  It's still going to be the Board deciding in the end.

> I would want to see something in writing from Mark Webbink saying it's
> legally OK for Fedora to do before we even begin discussing it.  We are
> not lawyers and this exercise is pointless if legal says no.

I volunteered to take questions to Mark, but I refused to do so until we
knew if we wanted to do it *if* the answer were 'yes'.

In 99.999% of the cases, I am more conscious of avoiding abusing
volunteer time than of Red Hat time.  Mark is the one exception to that,
for two reasons -- i) whatever I put in front of him needs to be the one
question I want answered, and ii) I think of his time as having extra
value because his is one of the few voices doing what he does, he does
it very well, and there are tens of thousands of us techie types.

So, IMO, we need to know if we want to do it before we find out if we
can.  Or do you think that is a foregone conclusion?  I don't, I reckon.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project