The Multimedia Question

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:41:38 UTC 2007

on 7/19/2007 11:31 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 22:30 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> "In this article, Adrian Kingsley-Hughes points out why he keeps giving
>> money to Microsoft and Apple despite the clear advantages of Linux: the
>> scary legalese dialogs you have to click through
>
> Maybe a scary warning in simpletonese, like a pack of cigarettes:  "If
> you smoke this MP3 codec, it will eat your brane and come back for
> dessert."

<lurk mode off>

I have watched this thread, as well as many others like this, from the
outside. As an ordinary user and not as programmer/maintainer/developer
which I am not. An ordinary user point of view. Linux for a long time.
Fedora since FC-2.

I do understand the Fedora FOSS policy and I do agree with it.

But what needs to be said, once again, by an ordinary user is this.

Be careful what you offer to provide a 'lead to' or a 'go here for this'.
Truly. Most, surely *not* all, of the people that want these types of
codecs and plugins to play, for example, mp3 music files or DVDs movies,
will be using these to listen to and play pirated (Bittorrent) music and
movies. And most, again surely not all, would be more than happy to
steal/violate/'call it whatever you wish' to be able to do so.

Do you really want to promote that?

Here I back out and put:

<lurk mode on>
--