Target market?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 08:20:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 01:23 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 7/25/07, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> >
> > So if we take this out to it's next obvious conclusion: where does that
> > leave the upstream consumer of Fedora: RHEL? Or any server-oriented
> > initiative based around fedora, for that matter?
> >

> To be honest... I think that we have to say that this is one of the
> hard decisions that we need to make, have a group cry, wear sackcloth,
> and move on about. Be it desktop, server, distro-builder, or child
> training system... the core mission of Fedora should be about that,
> and every other market is left up to SIG's to get.

How about something sequential?  Like this:

1. People are interested in making Fedora respinable; after all, while
you are building a distro, why not make the tools that build the distro
available for anyone to copy and use; carry metaphor down to GUI app to
build personal versions of Fedora.  These folks are the initial SIG.

2. Changes are made, in packages management through to release
engineering; a peripheral discussion becomes core to the mission.

3. Each success gives us a new set to build the next idea on.

So, we don't settle on one reason for existence that lasts forever.  We
settle for "organic growth", with a different kind of fruit we are
harvesting every few releases.

For example, I would say we have moved the changes to the build system
to the core and it is time to pick a new windmill to tilt at.

My vote is probably going to be for the desktop/user interface windmill
next.  FWIW, I think Fedora is already a rock solid server, and it's
always going to get that attention from the RHEL side.  The question is,
what do the rest of us think want to focus our attention on.  What
special-interest do we raise to the forefront?

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project