Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-24

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 16:22:56 UTC 2007

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2007-07-24

== Roll Call ==

Attendees: Seth Vidal, John Poelstra, Karsten Wade, Matt Domsch, Chris Aillon, Jef Spaleta, Bill Nottingham, and Dennis Gilmore

Regrets: Steve Dickson, Chris Blizzard, Max Spevack

== Multimedia Discussion ==
 * Request from Jack Aboutboul to discuss non-free codecs being included as presently being discussed on fedora-advisory list.
 * Not discussed.
Decision: best to continue discussion on fedora-advisory list for the time being

== Strictifying fedora-board-list ==
 * Majority of present board members voted to limit list membership to present board members and specially appointed people.
 * Max needs to adjust list after return from vacation

== Freeze for F8 Test1 ==
 * Simple reminder to board
 * Freeze is today (2007-07-24)
 * F8 Test 1 Release is slated for next thursday
 * Need to notify mirrors
    * Matt will follow up with Jesse and notify mirrors

== Virtual FUDCon Update ==
 * Jef will start thread on fedora-advisory list and then start creating a wiki page with a schedule
 * Looking at a block of time (2 or three hours) each day from 2007-aug-03 to 2007-aug-07
 * Have presentations by feature owners
 * Could we pull together resources for an Asterisk server?
   * Karsten will scope out resources needed
   * Dennis will help set things up once scoped out by Karsten
   * If Asterisk doesn't work we need to have a fall back plan like a regular conference system

== Update on Feature Process ==
 * John reported that so far things seem to be going well
 * First round of approvals last week
 * Seems to have helped to create lines of communication between related features

== Targeted Audience Discussion ==
 * Topic sparked by thread on fedora-advisory-list
 * If Fedora can do a better job of defining its market then marketing can be better targeted
   * Raises question about how good Fedora's marketing is?
   * Is planet.fedoraproject.org marketing?
   * How could Fedora Marketing be improved?
 * What we can advertise as "exciting and new in Fedora 8" and how can we go about doing that?
 * Observations from Chris Aillon's GUADEC experiences
   * Contrast between Fedora CD artwork and Ubuntu's very distinct
   * Firefox being used as a platform
   * Online desktop very well received
     * Backing from Gnome Foundation
     * Verbal backing from some of the other distros
     * Might be an area Fedora should consider targeting
       * ACTION: invite Havoc to a future meeting
     * Every application needs to be more "on-line aware"
   * Ubuntu seems to be doing a good job focusing developers on specific initiatives