rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sun Jul 1 20:19:46 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> Returning to an old rant, where I described some of the reasons I was
> still using Ubuntu:[1]
>
> On 1/3/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > * QA: Ubuntu aggressively pushes people to use their development
> > branch and report problems, which leads to better, more stable final
> > releases. At the time I chose to use Ubuntu, people were not just not
> > encouraged, but actively discouraged from using rawhide. This is
> > improving...
>
> When I went looking for rawhide information tonight, I found it
> impossible to find, so maybe I take back what I said about the
> situation improving :/ Try googling for 'fedora rawhide', or 'rawhide
> site:fedoraproject.org' and see what you get.
>
> What is up with that? I ask here because it could be a web or
> marketing team problem (page exists, but needs SEO love) or because it
> could be a QA team problem (page forgotten about?[2] page not deemed
> to be required?)
>
> Whatever the cause/responsibility for the problem, it seems like a
> critical problem to fix.[3]

So...

on the plus side:
* it is now rawhide everywhere, so people can find information about it. Yay!

on the negative side:
* AFAICT, still no information about why people should actually use
rawhide, or how they might use it. So the naming work is for naught.

on the very negative side:
* I tried to edit a bug today to make it more useful by correcting the
out of date information in it. I'm now told that to make the bug more
useful, I have to create a gpg key and sign the CLA.

Needless to say, the bug is still useless and will remain that way for
the foreseeable future.

Generally, I'm just shocked that Fedora seems to attach so little
significance to an area where we should be kicking the crap out of
proprietary operating systems, and where volunteers should be making
it substantially more cost-effective to produce software.

Luis