Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-10

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 13 01:50:49 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:

> Can you explain this a bit more please?  Particularly if you're going to
> push it to FESCo.
>
> 1) Why do we need to examine code coming from upstream updates?  (E.g.
> only to make sure the license tag spells out the correct version?)

I did attend this meeting (last one as a leaving board member). GPLv3 is
mutually incompatible with GPLv2. If we pull in updates where the code
has been relicensed we would need to check for implications which are
rather complex. See http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/

> 2) What packaging issues need to be discussed with legal?

EULA and collective copyright is under GPLv2 for Fedora currently.
Whether that needs to be changed to GPLv3 when we inherit GPL3 licensed
software from various upstream projects and a better understanding of
interactions between collective copyright and individual programs and
trademarked software which are incompatible.

Whether Software that is entirely under the copyright of Red Hat or
where Fedora is upstream would move from GPLv2 to GPLv3.

Whether it is worth the effort to separate the license tags in RPM
between GPLv2 and GPLv3 licensed software from the legal perspective.

Any other legal things to cross check as a result of a additional GPLv3
license and any new restrictions that it might have introduced to us as
a distribution.

Rahul