Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-10

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:34:18 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> New builds that change licensing terms should check any library
> dependencies for license incompatibility.  E.g., a GPLv2 program must
> not depend on a GPLv3+ or LGPLv3+ library, and a GPLv3+ program must
> not depend on a GPLv2 library.  (not sure about GPLv3+ / LGPLv2
> compatibility, I haven't thought much about it, and IANAL :-)

I'm very wary at attempting to rely the licensing tag in spec files
for any automation like this out of the gate. There are packages which
include multiple pieces of code under different licenses and of course
packages with code under multiple licenses. These situations aren't
codified in the licensing tag.

-jef