Mailing list reorganization summer 07, round 1

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 16 20:02:29 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

Ah, chance to clear up one of my pet peeves.

> And have these in the end:
>
>  * fedora-devel-users
>
>  * fedora-pkgs-commits

fedora-cvs-commits is better or make it fedora-packages-commits.
packages makes it more clear and we are likely to be moving off cvs to a
distribute SCM.

>  * fedora-fesco

Are we going to move to open archives? Atleast the board members should
have access to it. Previously this was extras specific but not anymore.

>  * Successor: fedora-fesco (or just fesco? but we have the fedora-prefix
> everywhere else, so better not)

Right.

> There was the idea to rename fedora-advisory-list to fedora-project
> list. But fedora-advisory-list works well, so maybe it's better to not
> touch it... Should we nevertheless create a fedora-project list as
> discussion list for Fedora-wide things where different groups
> (packagers, art, docs, EPEL, ...) can share informations -- we don't
> have such a place currently and some people seem to miss it

There is really no specific advisory board group anymore. This list is
open to all so a name change might be better and fedora-project list
sounds good. Do we need a fedora-ramblings list for random rants and news?

We could redirect
> users to fedora-devel-list and fedora-devel-users; or, if we want to
> keep the list, consider to rename it to fedora-desktop-developers.

Clarifying that it is for developers would be better than closing this.

> === fedora-list ===
>
> This is mostly a list where users help he other. fedora-users would thus
> be a proper name that would make its use obvious. But would renaming be
> worth the trouble? Maybe keep it in mind for the longer term

Rename isn't worth the trouble IMO.

>   * fedora-r-devel-list

SIG list just like perl or java but there is inconsistency in between
perl-devel and devel-java. Pick one style and rename the others.

>   * fedora-art

We need this. This has a active team with many art specific discussion.

>   * fedora-xen

Rename to fedora-virtualization since we now have kvm and shortly will
have lguest too.

>   * fedora-websites

This should be retained.

>  * should we have a official mailing list coordinator that has to ACK
> new mailing lists?

FESCo might designate someone here. Warren Togami or Thomas Chung might
be interested.

> Suggested settings (can all be found on the first mailman settings page)
>
>  * the reply-to should not be modified by mailman (first_strip_reply_to
> = no)
>  * the reply-to should point to the list (reply_goes_to_list = this list)
>  * no explicit Reply-to-Address (reply_to_address = <empty> )
>  * no tagging (subject_prefix = <empty> )

* reject HTML mail automatically with instructions on a wiki page to
enable text messages on their mail clients.

* Clean up web interface messages. Some of them refer to core and extras
for example and nearly all of them have not been updated for years.

Rahul