The Multimedia Question

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 15:39:06 UTC 2007

Before we can do stuff with a feature like Codec Buddy, the Fedora Board
needs to reaffirm its larger strategy about Multimedia.

Givens:

1) Fedora is Free by default, and always must be.

2) If people want to add anything non-Free to Fedora, they must do so in
a way that is legal for them.

3) Fedora must abide by US laws, as Red Hat is a US company.

What follows:

4) To what extent is it appropriate for hooks or other "stuff that makes
it easier for someone to do non-free stuff like CodecBuddy" to exist in
Fedora?  We need to decide on this from a philosophical standpoint.
The lawyers will help us with the legal standpoint.

5) Acknowledge that people can use the Fedora base as a starting point
for a derivative work that potentially includes stuff that can't be
included in the United States, or in the official version of Fedora.

6) Acknowledge that just because something is illegal in the US, it
isn't illegal everywhere in the world.  Help people use Fedora, remix
Fedora, and redistribute Fedora, in ways that are Legal for them and
acceptable to Red Hat as the legal entity that controls Fedora.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack