The Multimedia Question

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 19:04:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 13:41 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 13:24 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >> And let's not forget that we already "shill" for other folks... The
> >> bittorrent-gui app features a "Donate" button.  Note that I am not
> >> saying that is a bad thing.
> >
> > Again, shilling is not the issue here.
> >
> > Helping Fluendo sell proprietary software is WELL outside of the
> > ideology of Fedora.
>
> Is helping desktop users outside of the ideology of Fedora?

I would argue that we're not helping them when they end up with
proprietary junk on their system.

Users may not care. We care.

When we start filling the gaps with proprietary glue, we start sliding
down, not bothering to fix it in an open fashion. We send the message to
developers that it is OK to do things in a closed manner.

All in pursuit of the best operating system and platform that free
software can provide.

Not the best compromise that we can provide to our impatient users.

~spot