The Multimedia Question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 19 20:19:11 UTC 2007

Luis Villa wrote:

> I'd strongly suggest having more detail than that in anything you
> propose to legal.
>
> * who will choose what that points at?
> * where (geography, hardware) will they be hosted, and by who?
> * will it be source-available-but-patent-encumbered only? or will it
> include no-source options? or some other line?
> * what type of education do you plan to do? might it admit (or not)
> that there is a belief or public allegation that patents are
> infringed? if it does not, how is the whole exercise publicly
> justified?

Third party repository containing only Free but patent encumbered
software hosted outside of US in a region not affected by software
patents and in resources provided external to Red Hat. The same website
might have other repositories but those won't be enabled by default or
accessed directly by us. The end user functionality looks something like
this:

* You click on content encoded in a format that we don't support by default

* We use the hook in gstreamer to call a small GTK application that says:

This content is in a restricted patent encumbered format that Fedora
Project does not provide support by default. If you are in a region that
enforces software patents (such as U.S) you can download or buy licensed
codecs. Others users can install the free plugin. What would you like to do?

A) Learn about Free and better quality alternatives -  lead to a web
page that explains all about Free formats such as Ogg.

B) Download or buy licensed Codecs -> leads to a different section in
the same page as A) that points to the Fluendo web shop.

C) Install plugin support - Downloads the appropriate plugin package
from the third party repository directly. If there is no net access fail
gracefully after informing the user.

Does this sound sane and answer all the questions necessary for legal?

Rahul