The Multimedia Question

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Jul 19 21:09:38 UTC 2007

> In practical terms, I don't need to control a repository to be aware
> what goes into it according to their explicitly written guidelines by
> Fedora contributors outside of Red Hat.  It is possible that someone
> might sneak in a package that violates the guidelines in a official or
> third party repository. Either would be considered a bug and fixed.  If
> absolute control is necessary you cannot point to a third party
> repository at all but that is up to Legal to decide.

but that's just it. if someone puts that in a repository then it could
be a serious poison pill. If it is enough to get red hat sued then even
if it bears out that rh acted appropriately by getting the problem fixed
I can relatively guarantee that will be the LAST time we ever get to try
that.

> If that level of control is desirable, it needn't be a third party
> repository but a Fedora repository built and hosted in external (to Red
> Hat) systems in regions that don't enforce software patents by Fedora
> contributors.

but is red hat complicit in maintaining this? Or a red hat employee?
Does 'the company' know about this or is this a 'wink, wink, nudge,
nudge, say no more, say no more' sort of thing?

If it is the latter then I think we're at full, dead, stop w/o legal
counsel.

-sv