The Multimedia Question

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Tue Jul 24 03:40:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:28:07PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:17:00 -0500
> Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
>
> > meaning, fedora-logos can't just be removed (-fedora-logos in your
> > %packages list in a kickstart file), but must be *replaced* with
> > something, if you want your result to run Gnome or boot from a hard
> > disk (grub).  Maybe we could fix those packages to not rpm
> > Require: system-logos?  I know the upstream projects don't Require:
> > system-logos, as they're used on a wide variety of distros (e.g.
> > compiz, grub, gdm aren't Fedora-unique).
>
> If you don't have fedora-logos installed, these things won't show a
> graphic as they are configured when built for Fedora IIRC.  That's why
> you'd replace it with a system-logos or your own logo pack that
> provides system-logos so that you can easily (or at least this was the
> idea) re-brand the bits for your own needs.

(for the hypothetical and generic "I").

I don't want to re-brand. :-)  I want something quick and simple.  At
the moment, I'm required to re-brand in order to publish it to a web
site for someone else to download.  jeremy's quite useful comment
over here:
   http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/07/16/21242.aspx#comments
is accurate, but I've got to remove and add a replacement system-logos
package, which is more work.  (As an aside, the CentOS folks don't
require you to change the software if you don't want to.  You do wind
up with their logo in a few places, but at least you didn't have to
spin the package before sharing your work with your friends.
http://centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=49)

I'd love the behavior to be runtime-driven rather than buildtime
driven - e.g. if there's a logo in a certain directory at runtime, use
that, else use something else or nothing...