Target market?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jul 25 07:00:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 00:52 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> For me the lack of Red Hat leadership has been a long problem. It
> comes across as "we want this to be community driven." but that ends
> up with a problem whenever some internal issue crosses it. Most of
> this comes from the Red Hat people really trying to be nice guys all
> the time, and not tick off anyone.. but it comes across as hidden
> agendas and other issues.
>
> At this point, I think we will be stumbling through F8 and probably F9
> unless some people stand up and make some decisions that are going to
> tick off people... or we decide that we are just focusing on becoming
> the Debian of the RH world... and helping others build their Ubuntus
> off of it.

this is the heart of the issue. It's been suggested that Fedora should
act more like ubuntu in various ways. But ubuntu is only like that b/c
canonical the company has said it will be like that.

where do we draw the line around what is fedora? Does fedora include all
the packagers, contributors, translators and people working on
infrastructure? Does fedora include all of the above and all the folks
who work for red hat and whose software end up in fedora? Are the people
developing libvirt, for example, are they fedora developers or red hat
developers?  Where we draw that line determines where our technical
direction comes from. Where our direction comes from should decide what
our target market needs to be and needs to be communicating and
acquiring goals from the user base of fedora.

-sv